17 September 2012

Embracing Winter

Who, me?  The one married to the guy who boasts that the only ice he's seen since 2008 is in his glass of rum?  Me?  Winter?

Yeah.

We decided to hang out in Annapolis this year for a couple of logical reasons. I wanted a long period with supertrainer Jen to get my back back into shape so I could, you know, walk normally.  And we'd needed a few months to let the bank accounts rebound after the excess spending of the last glorious winter in St Augustine.

I knew that staying in Annapolis for a year meant we'd experience winter for the first time in 4 years. What I didn't expect was to look forward to it.  But today in the grocery store the shelves were stocked with big orange soup mugs and a sale on canned Progresso soup.  Like all advertising, it wasn't about the item itself; it was about the image of myself using the item, that they tried to sell.  Sure enough, I could visualize myself in the cozy lovely life I fantasized, log cabin in the woods with the trees shedding their autumn-colored leaves outside.  And I wanted that coziness, that safety from the storm.   I could just see myself standing near the fireplace, wearing a well-loved old gray sweater, sipping warm tomato soup from that mug after an invigorating hike in the woods...

I don't have a log cabin, or woods full of maple trees.  And I know that winter will also include chilly fingertips, icy docks, and dark mornings.  But I'm going to buy myself one of those big mugs, and browse the Web for soup recipes, snuggle down, get slow and contemplative and quiet, light some candles and make the very very best of the coming season.

No comments: